I don’t know why this year feels so different, but I have been absolutely obsessed with the eleven days that await me, officially at 2:10 p.m. on Friday, December 21, when school ends.
I think getting my Jeep has done a lot for me in enjoying time outside of my profession. It might also be why I haven’t written nearly as much as I have in the past. I’m busy doing other things, all of which bring me great happiness.
There’s just so much to look forward to, as well, with all of that time. I think my to-do list looks something like this:
1. Seek out snowy roads to break in the Jeep.
2. Work on a new piece of creative nonfiction and get a solid draft completed.
3. Spend more time with my kids, especially my son, and do what they want to do and not what I need to do.
4. Cook at least one dinner for my wife (and kids, of course, but they probably won’t eat it!).
5. Clean up my digital music library.
6. Paint the bedroom (maybe), if we can decide on a color.
7. Read a book. Any book. I’ve got The Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England that I’ve been trying to read….Looks good. Will be the first book on the to-read list.
8. Stay up late watching really good movies in Blu-Ray quality and sleep in late the following mornings.
9. Catch up with some old friends and write letters to the others that I won’t be able to see.
10. Walk every day.
I know this might sound like an ambitious list, but it really isn’t. Truth is, though, that if I’m able to do even half of these things, it will be the best eleven-day run I’ve had in decades.
Love to all!………………………rvw
2 thoughts on “Counting Down to Winter Break”
Those all sound like wonderful things to do over your break. I just repainted the bedroom the other day in anticipation of new bedding that we purchased and wrapped for under the tree. I too am looking forward to the holiday. I am taking off starting Sat the 22nd through New Year’s Day (counting weekends, that is 11 days as well!) Yay!!!!
Hey Rus, Vacation sounds wonderful, doesn’t it! I am going to Florida to see mickey and all his friends. Home for new year’s. Rest, relaxation, and writing. I haven’t stopped writing. Dark Star Orchestra at Ram’s Head on Dec. 29th. Good GD music. Sound tempting?? Hope to see you there. Keep on Truckin. (or is it Jeepin).